Best Self Balancing Electric Scooter
OK, so last year there was a new toy in town. The thing is, no one seems to know exactly what to call it. The best most popular title seems to be Self Balancing Electric Scooter. We have also seen, hoverboard, self balancing board, electric board, self balancing hoverboard, the smart two wheel self balancing electric scooter, the self balancing drifting board and so on and so on. As you will see from the titles given to the products below, even the manufacturers don’t know what to call them ! Well what are they? They are kind of like a segway but without the handle. In fact Segway have their own model available to buy but we are not sure whether or not they invented them ! Basically the self balancing electric scooter is supposed to be easy to learn (about 1 hour according to some manufacturers, quicker if you read some reviews), environmentally friendly and above all fun. They are electrically powered with rechargeable batteries. The weight, power, battery life etc will depend on which model you buy. The price varies hugely from around £200 up to well over £1000. How much they costs seems to depend on build, top speed, battery life and branding.
Update for 2017
Having completely stopped selling Self balancing electric scooters because of safety concerns, Amazon have started selling them again. You can still buy them elsewhere in the UK but need to make sure you are buying them from a retailer you trust. A lot of the safety concerns relate to cheaply built Chinese imports. One of the things you should look out for is that the scooter has a UK plug that complies with British standards. You should also ensure that the boards are CE certified. There are still plenty of different models available in the UK including the following:
Bluefin 6.5″ Classic Swegway Hoverboard. This is one of the few models Amazon have allowed to be sold on their UK site. It is advertised as having a Genuine Samsung battery with Protection Circuit UL and CE Approved safe Charger with BS1363 3 Pin UK Plug ! It also gets very good reviews on Amazon where is currently sells for £249. (Up to date prices). This scooter comes with built in Bluetooth speakers which add an extra element of fun. Some key features of this hoverboard are:
- Max Speed: 10-15 km/h.
- Min rider weight: 40kg and Max rider weight: 100kg
- Up to 6 hours ride time from a 2 hour charge.
- 350 Watt German designed silent drive motors.
- Board weight: 10Kg
- Dimensions L65cm, W24.5cm, D23cm
- Wheel size: 6.5″ with solid tyres.
- Suitable for children aged 8 and up.
- Integrated Bluetooth speakers.
- Front LED lights.
BEST PRICE WE COULD FIND FOR THE BLUEFIN SWEGWAY HOVERBOARD
[amazon_link asins=’B01MCZ279I,B01MPXU7IF,B01N32W84F,B01M72HUEF’ template=’ProductGrid’ store=’scooters086-21′ marketplace=’UK’ link_id=”]
Razor Hovertrax 2 Hoverboard. Razor are a very well know and respected brand in the world of scooters. They do a great range of electric scooters so it made sense for them to venture into the Hoverboard market. After the dramas of last Christmas with other brands of hoverboard or self balancing scooters, Razor was the first US brand to receive the UL 2272 listing for safety, ensuring Hovertrax 2.0 meets or exceeds the highest fire and electrical standards. This is important when looking at which self balancing electric scooter to buy.
Some key features of the Razor Hovertrax 2 are as follows:
- Up to 60 minutes of continuous use when charged. The battery is a 36V lithium ion battery pack with LG cells
- Speed: 6 mph (10 km/h) cruise speed
- This self balancing scooter has a training mode and a normal mode. An LED light shows you which mode you are in
- The wheels are rubber tyres with aluminium hubs
- The frame is made form a shatter-resistant polymer and has fender bumper protection
- Motors: Silent, dual 135 watt (cruising power), 350 watt (peak power) hub motors with gyro sensor technology
- Foot Platforms: Anti-slip rubber
- Max Rider Weight is 220 lbs (100Kg)
- Suitable for children aged 8 years and above
- Product Weight: 27 lbs
- Product Dimensions: 24.5″ L x 9″ W x 8.75″ H
Best Price We could find for the Razor Hovertrax 2 Self Balancing Scooter
iSkute Balance Board. This is a lot cheaper than the Razor Hovertrax but is still a good quality self balancing scooter. Version 2 of this scooter is slightly more expensive than the original iSkute self balancing board but more information on safety features. The main specifications of the iSkute hoverboard are as follows:
- Maximum speed 10km/h which is the same as the Hovertrax 2
- Maximum load weight: 100kg
- Battery charging time: 2/3 hours
- The Battery is a 36V Lithium battery. In version 2 is states that the battery is protected with Fire-Resistant hard outer casing and Internal Gel.
- Average mileage: 9-12 miles per full charge based on a 65kg weight on a smooth surface
- Average runtime: 2-3 hours based on a 65kg weight on a smooth surface
- 1 year Manufacturer’s warranty
- The iScoot V2 has a UK approved charger (UL / CE / FCC Tested and Certified)
There is not as much information available as with the Razor Hovertrax so this is a slightly riskier purchase. However, if you buy it from a reputable store such as SkateHut you will be able to ask any questions and be confident in the answers. If may also be worth paying extra for Version 2 which has a UK approved charger and fire protection surrounding the lithium battery.
Best Price We could find for the iSkute Balance Board
Reasons to buy a self balancing electric scooter ?
Quite obvious really. They are the latest gadget, fun to use, easy to learn and will be on a lot of Christmas wish lists this year !